Pozole fell behind lime soup in the best soups in the world! It is a typical Yucatan dish and it is a true delight.
Lime soup is one of the delights of Yucatecan gastronomy. On this occasion, it received recognition in the ranking of the 100 best soups in the world by TasteAtlas, in which it surpassed pozole.
TasteAtlas is an encyclopedia of flavors that lists the best traditional dishes, local ingredients, and restaurants around the world.
This 2023, in the category of the best soups, three Mexican dishes were ranked:
- Lime soup. (Place number 5).
- Pozole. (Place number 15).
- tarascan soup. (Place number 31).
- Tortilla.soup (Place number 41).
It is important to note that the first three places in this ranking are occupied by:
- Tonkotsu ramen from Japan.
- Zureck from Poland.
- Mercibeck çorbasi from Türkiye.
Lime Soup Recipe
The lime soup is a real delight. It is a typical Yucatan dish and is perfect for a very Mexican first course at lunchtime. Learn how to prepare it with this traditional and simple recipe!
- 1 chicken breast washed
- 1/4 kilo of onion
- 3 liters of water
- 1 cup with sliced limes
- 2 garlic cloves
- A quarter of a bunch of cilantro
- Salt to taste
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and cut into small cubes
- a pinch of cumin
- 1 nail
- oregano to taste
- 2 tablespoons of lard
- 1 cup fried tortilla strips (optional)
- 2 sweet chilies or xcatik
- In a pot, cook the chicken breast in the water and add the 1/4 onion, the garlic cloves, the 1/4 bunch of cilantro and salt to taste.
- Put the lid on and let the ingredients cook for approximately 35 minutes. Then carefully remove the chicken and shred it; In another fret separate the broth.
- In another pot add the lard and fry the chicken together with the tomato, onion and chili. Then add the broth and then the spices.
- Once it comes to a boil, your lime soup is almost ready. Add the lime slices a few minutes before so they don’t bitter.
- Finally, remove from the heat and serve (you can do it in a pozole plate or in a normal clay plate). If you wish, you can add the fried tortillas. Now yes, bon appetit!